Sunday, October 18, 2009

On My Mind

The other day I was looking at my sister-in-law's friend's blog. I've met her only a couple of times, but I like to look at her blog every once in a while. Well, one of her recent posts was a list of things that she had been thinking about recently. I really liked that idea, and it was fun to read. Since I'm not a good journal person, this blog has become my substitute for a journal. So this is more of a journal post than anything else.

What I've been thinking about recently:

1. I have been wondering how much longer the Office will be running. I watch every week, but this season has been less entertaining that previous seasons. Last week was really funny though and back up to par. My favorite line was from Dwight, "R is a very menacing sound. That's why is called murder and not muckduck." I laughed so hard!

2. The most random people have made guest appearances in my dreams and have crossed my mind. People from high school that I just knew but wasn't friends with. Then that gets me thinking about other people from Burley. It's kind of a chain reaction. :) I hope life is treating them well.

3. Since the end of the school year and being at home, I have tried to cook more. I've tried bunches of new recipes. (Check out Adele's cooking blog...Simply Delicious. It's awesome!) It's been fun to experiment, but I get frustrated with my lack of cooking abilities. Hopefully by the time that Greg is old enough to know something tastes gross and be able to voice his opinion, I'll be able to cook more than pizza and spaghetti.

4. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to read for pleasure. I just didn't read very much while I was working. It's so relaxing and enjoyable. I've been reading the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. I'm on the third book, Specials. They are really great reads, and they get me thinking about the emphasis put on beauty and making choices in tough situations. I highly recommend the books.

5. I have felt so much joy! Being a mom has it's trying moments, but at the end of the day, I have so much happiness because of Greg. He is so cute. He is really into trucks right now and drives his trucks all over the house. Really simple, but I love it! I feel really lucky to have such a wonderful husband and such a beautiful son. I didn't know that this is what a mother's love felt like. It's the best feeling ever!


6. I've also felt really lucky to live in Lexington. We have a great ward and have made some really dear friends here. I miss Idaho (I've especially been missing mountains recently) and really miss being around my family. But it's good to be surrounded by loving brothers and sisters in the Gospel.

7. In June, our Bishop gave our ward a challenge to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year (like Pres. Hinckley did back in 2005). I'm so grateful for that challenge. I'm over 60% finished, and I have felt such strength from consistently reading the scriptures. One of my New Year's resolutions was to read the scriptures at least 6 out of 7 days a week, and I am happy to say that I have kept that resolution. But with this challenge I have been making sure that I read a little bit more each day. I have also felt strength in knowing that we are doing this as a ward and that there are others around me that are also being blessed for being obedient. It gives me a greater resolve to keep going.

Well...there you have it. The complex workings of my mind. :)

5 comments:

Nichole said...

You have good things on your mind. We had stake conference yesterday. We had a visiting general authority - Elder Brimhall of the Seventy. He told us he was released a couple of years ago as the mission president of the Kentucky Louisville mission, and I thought of you.

Adele said...

Good to have a look into the mind of Amber. Those pictures are adorable. I love that little cutie Greg!

Joy said...

Your mind is very active! I have more to do lists in my head than anything else most of the time. No wonder I'm so forgetful!

Joy said...

By the way, very cute pictures of you and Greg!

Melea said...

I just can't get over how cute Greg is with that second to last pic and the look on his face. He is just so funny!