Thursday, February 21, 2008

PAIN IN THE NECK

I was scheduled to be observed for a whole group reading lesson today by my UK professor lady for my internship portfolio. No big deal; I was ready to go. She's really nice, so it is always low stress when she comes. Well...today turned out to be a little bit more than a low stress day. At about 9:00 our principal got on the intercom and told all of the teachers to check their email immediately. Come to find out, we were dismissing school at 11:35 (three hours earlier) because of an incoming ice storm. So I spent the rest of the morning trying to keep the kids quiet (absolutely impossible...I gave up after a while) and calling all of the parents of my students to confirm transportation. The population at our school is such that the parents are often very difficult to get a hold of (ie. disconnected phones, moving frequently, working long hours, screening calls from the school, etc.). It was crazy, but luckily I got a hold of all of the families thanks to my assistant. I was taking my kids to the cafeteria for early lunch when my observation lady showed up. :) We just rescheduled for next week. Needless to say the children were absolutely nuts because any variation in our daily routine really screws them up. But everyone got home, and I got to go to lunch with Noel and my friends from work. Although the morning was hectic, the afternoon ended up being great!

6 comments:

Marissa said...

I can't believe the hype about this 'storm'. I suppose I understand why everyone took the precautions they did, but Adam tried to go to the gym and THEY had closed. I don't remember that ever happening. Then it turns out it's not even that bad... that's Kentucky for ya!

angela said...

I can just imagine a bunch of first graders getting excited about going home early. That's why I didn't go into elem. education . . .

:-)

Nichole said...

I love the better-safe-than-sorry philosophy of determining snow days. I wish our school had been more like that. "I think it might snow a lot today. No school!"

Melea said...

I was thinking of you on that day-thinking that you will probably have to make up days at the end of the school year because Kentuckians are wusses (SP?) (I hate this word but can't think of anotehr)

hotlasagna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hotlasagna said...

This is an official "too long between posts" complaint. I feel like I don't even know you guys anymore. I guess since Noel has a new calling you've forgotten about all the little people...

sad and distesed,

jonathan